When computer data is not being used by CPU (PROCESSOR), it must be stored on a storage device. It’s just a place to store all the data (binary data).
Types of Storage Devices:
A PC computer has different types of storage devices:
- Floppy disk drive: FDD is a form of magnetic media, which were used to storage data and had a capacity of 1.44MB. But not they are replaced with USB, which we call them Pen drives or flash drives.
- USB Memory Key: Today we can get around 16 GB to 32 GB USB Memory sticks. These high storage capacity drivers are used a lot to store any kind of data and carried in your pockets at any time. It is rarely affected by dust.
- Hard Disk Drives: HDD is also called HD – HD is a form of magnetic media sealed and made up of platters that are stacked. Today we get 1 terabyte HD disks for affordable price. HD systems are made up of the controller, hard disk and host adaptor. Types of disk controllers and host adaptors are: SATA, EIDE, SCSI, etc.
- CD/DVD Storage Devices: today every PC you purchase comes with DVD drive. These can read and write both CD’S and DVD’S. Both CD/DVD are optical disks.
Types of DVD Formats:
Different types of DVD formats include:
- CD ROM – read only memory, stores about 650MB of data
- CD-R – recordable, drivers are sometimes called “CD Burners”
- CD-RW – rewritable
- DVD – stores 4.3 GB of data, single sided
- DVD-DL – double layer, stores 8.6GB of data
- DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW – recordable and rewritable DVD formats
- Blu-ray Disc – stores about 25GB (single layer) and 50 GB (double layer)
- HD DVD – 15GB (single layer) and 30 GB (double layer)